Thursday, July 21, 2011

Am I the only one that thinks the Velvet Underground is overrated?

I like WLWH (undeniably a huge influence on the punk and noise rock genres), but I just find their debut album - ugly. The melodies are ugly, the lyrical themes are ugly, the production is ugly, and the vocals are quite unappealing as well. I don't even consider it beautiful trash. Aside from the lyrics (which seems to be what gets noticed the most), can anyone tell me how this record was so innovative? It was different, but not exactly in a good way. Also, their later albums, while sounding more like alt rock before alt rock was even invented, still sound rudimentary and dated. Just because something is first, doesn't mean it's best. If you like this group, why? Is it for historical reasons? You like these off-kilter kind of melodies? It goes well with your skinny jeans? I'm curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment